Monday, June 28, 2021

Chapter Three - Unfinished Business

10/7/19 - Penny was almost 70, like me, and who knows how many more years we would have ultimately had together, but for the intervention of the rare and fatal cancer.  She was meticulous about her health, much more so than I ever was.  I have secured a complete copy of her medical records from the past nine years, and I see consultations, treatment, and even minor surgeries that I was barely aware of ("Oh, I had a doctor appointment this afternoon". "Oh really?  Everything OK?". "Yes, doc says I'm good until next year".)  Some of these were dermatologist visits to check her skin for suspicious moles and blemishes.  Two colonoscopies.  Regular breast exams.  Gynaecological checkups.  Ironically, just a year earlier she had volunteered to be part of a massive scale medical project at Stanford called "Project Baseline", an effort to establish the baseline of health in America using a thoroughly vetted sample of more that 50,000 participants.  The program involved a three-day exhaustive physical exam, far beyond any routine check-up.  Penny tried very hard to be sure she was healthy and would live.  She had no reason to believe that it was time to slow down, to prepare for the inevitable decline that comes with aging. Penny had plans and projects.  She had a wedding to get ready for (our younger son's).  She had a second grandson arriving in November (our older son's), and was looking forward to playing a big role in his young life as she had with four-year-old Lincoln.  She had a backyard landscaping project that we had just secured funds for, and the architect was standing by to get started... when Penny was diagnosed with GBC.  Even today, I find her notebooks and calendars filled with decorating ideas, contractor visits, a new front door, planting next Spring's garden.  Some of these she continued to manage during her illness, but eventually the fatigue and weakness took her off the front line.  Her sudden decline and death, of course, left a huge void in all of these activities.  My immediate instinct was to step in and cover the projects as best I could.  As time has gone by since her death, the completion of Penny's agenda has become very important to me, and has expanded to include just about every aspect of our shared life.  Besides supervising the completion of her landscape project, I am also trying to care for the rest of the indoor and outdoor plants that Penny nurtured and knew so much about (I do not).  She had a small online store for jewelry she had collected and wanted to sell, so I am making a game effort to do that as well.  I selected a new fountain for the yard with the hope that my choice was in line with what Penny would have chosen.  I clean the house and do laundry almost beyond the scale of those efforts under her watch.  Why do I do these things?  Am I trying to gain approval that will never come?  Am I preparing things for the remote (very remote!) possibility that she will somehow return?  I do not have an answer for this, except that it puts me into a connection with where things would have been, should have been.  In another view, it is like capturing Penny's life before it completely got away, and folding it into my own.  Her unfinished business is now my unfinished business....and I will finish it for both of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment